The Climate Science Legal Defense Fund (CSLDF) protects the scientific endeavor by preserving and expanding scientists’ rights and strengthening legal protections for scientific integrity. Our work safeguards the science needed inform important policy decisions and preserve public health.
Development and Communications Manager
We’re looking for a motivated fundraising and communications professional to help us tell the story of our work and reach our full potential. Partnering with the Executive Director and Board, the Development and Communications Manager will coordinate the cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of individual donors and institutional funders for a small non-profit organization. This role will also manage communications-related functions, and work in coordination with part-time program and grantwriting support.
Development responsibilities (60%) include:
- Expanding our individual donor and institutional grant portfolio, working from our fundraising plan (finalized in 2021) to implement and build on the strategies outlined.
- Working on all aspects of gift cycle, including researching and identifying individual and institutional prospects; developing cultivation opportunities and events; managing the acknowledgment and recognition processes; and creating ways to steward and engage donors in our work.
- Writing grant proposals, reports, donor appeals and other correspondence to funders and prospects.
- Supporting the Executive Director’s engagement with key stakeholders, donors, and foundations; working with the Executive Director to engage and support the Board in development activities.
- Managing donor database (Salesforce, implemented in 2020), including tracking and evaluating performance and updating policies and procedures guide for data entry.
- Partnering with the Executive Director to set fundraising goals and projections for operational budgeting; reconciling fundraising income with QuickBooks on a quarterly basis.
- Ensuring compliance with charitable giving regulations.
- Regularly reviewing our online presence, including website and social media, to keep fundraising language and donation portals current.
Communications responsibilities (40%) include:
- Working from our communications plan (finalized in 2021) to implement and build on the strategies outlined.
- Managing CSLDF Twitter and Facebook accounts and overseeing an editorial calendar.
- Updating and posting website content.
- Producing our monthly newsletter.
- Ensuring consistent presentation of CSLDF across all platforms, including reviewing and editing blog posts and other public communications.
- Managing media relations, including rapidly responding to press requests.
- Tracking and evaluating communications performance analytics, including Google Analytics and Mailchimp metrics.
- A successful track record of at least 3-5 years of fundraising experience; additional communications experience preferred.
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills.
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational instincts and ability to juggle multiple priorities simultaneously.
- Self-starter who is comfortable working independently.
- Salesforce experience preferred but other donor database experience also welcome.
- Mailchimp and WordPress experience a plus.
- Experience managing institutional social media accounts.
- Understanding of non-profit bookkeeping a plus.
- Knowledge of climate, environmental, scientific, and/or legal issues a plus.
The salary for this position is $65,000 annually. Benefits include generous paid time off; health, dental, and life insurance benefits; and a flexible, friendly work environment. Please let us know what flexibility looks like to you.
How to Apply
Please email a resume / CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and include Development and Communications Manager in the subject line.