The Climate Science Legal Defense Fund (CSLDF) provides legal assistance and education to members of the scientific community, and climate scientists in particular. We defend researchers and other experts who share their knowledge, inform the public, and advocate to address climate change and other pressing environmental problems.
This Staff Attorney will take on a number of key responsibilities including working with scientists; leading scientist education efforts; working with stakeholders; and drafting legal writing, articles, and other content.
MAIN DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Advise climate and environmental scientists about legal rights and options. This may include directly representing the scientist and / or working with pro bono or institutional counsel to arrange a defense.
- Organize and present webinars and educational events for scientists, attorney CLEs, and other educational programing.
- Draft educational content for scientists and lawyers.
- Draft pieces of legal writing such as regulatory comments, responses to open records requests, and whistleblower complaints.
- Write general interest pieces such as blog posts & op-eds.
- Collaborate with key stakeholders such as advocacy groups, law professors, pro bono law firms, scientists, institutional general counsels, and industry partners.
- Research and develop legal strategies to defend scientists and scientific endeavors.
SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Strong verbal, writing, analytical, and organizational skills; ability to meet deadlines; work well in team and partnership environment.
- 3-5 years demonstrated litigation experience. Experience with administrative law, employment law, open records laws, First Amendment issues, institutional scientific integrity policies, and / or working with expert witnesses a plus.
We are based in NYC and currently working remotely; we will consider applicants working remotely in special circumstances. We have a flexible, friendly work environment. Please let us know what flexibility looks like to you.
Salary range is $70,000 to $75,000 per year.
Benefits include generous paid time off and flexible pre-tax benefits (including 401(k) plan). Paid health, dental, and life insurance benefits also provided.
Please email a resume / CV and cover letter to email@example.com and include Staff Attorney Application in the subject line.